Skip to main content

Neverending Labyrinth

My First Oil Painting
August 4, 2006

1 Neverending Labyrinth oiloncanvas melaniejoyart
What can I say about my very first painting ever? It was a moment in my life that changed everything for me.  
My aunt Sharon, a professional Artist, gifted me her older supplies, so I bought a canvas. I put the Movie Labyrinth (my most fave movie ever), followed by The Neverending Story on in the background.
I chose some colours and started with Blue. Because all paintings start with blue!

I have spent my life doing creative things, sketching, colouring, sewing, decorating etc. But never painting. It was always in my head that it was something I wanted to try. I enjoyed paint by numbers as a kid and that smell apparently stuck with me.  Just the smell of a tube of oil paints can bring a feeling of calmness and nostalgia.

So there I was, painting away, tapping into my childhood imagination.  And when I was done, I knew I had changed, that this is who I was, what I wanted to do forever and the first thing I did not feel inferior about, something I was good at and not bashful about sharing it with the world.

I love to paint, I love to think about painting new ideas, I love smelling the paints, being surrounded by art supplies, and basking in the joy that is my imagination.

Comments