Skip to main content

I'll Leave My Love Between The Stars ~ For David Bowie


I'll Leave My Love Between The Stars [2016]
oil on canvas, gallery wrapped
20x20 inches / 51x51 cm
cdn + shipping

$350.00

Online Store

Have I told you I love the movie Labyrinth yet?  Of course I have. That's the first thing I put on when I picked up my first brush.

I have been a David Bowie fan since I was a kid.  But not in the way you think.  I admit that I really am not very familiar with much of his music. And he has a lot! Don't get me wrong though, I love his music. Except the song 'Space Oddity', that one gives me chills to the very core of my being and I don't really know why.

The movie was my first introduction to him and wow was he awesome. (He may be the reason that I have always had an attraction to Goth-type men. Or punk men that wear makeup. And men with long hair....) I remember holding up the microphone to the tv speakers to record the music onto a cassette, I was enthralled by all of it. 
And it was him, and all that he stood for that I loved, that I felt a kinship to. So when he died, much of the beauty of the man was gone and we mourned the loss of a driving force, not only musically but as a human being.

The following quote describes what I liked about him so much...

"What I always saw in him was the face of a delighted and amazed child, who was seeing something come to life that was unexpected and joyful."
~ James Nicola, artistic director of the New York Theatre Workshop

We should all be so lucky to follow that example when approaching certain aspects of life, and we may find that life is a little more delightful than we let it be.

This particular painting changes with the light as 95% of it is textured.  So sometimes it looks almost completely black and then you take 3 steps the side and you see light reflecting off the textured parts.


"As The World Falls Down"
~ DAVID BOWIE, Labyrinth Movie

There's such a sad love
Deep in your eyes.
A kind of pale jewel
Open and closed
Within your eyes.
I'll place the sky
Within your eyes.
There's such a fooled heart
Beatin' so fast
In search of new dreams.
A love that will last
Within your heart.
I'll place the moon
Within your heart.

As the pain sweeps through,
Makes no sense for you.
Every thrill is gone.
Wasn't too much fun at all,
But I'll be there for you-ou-ou
As the world falls down.

Falling.
Falling down.
Falling in love.

I'll paint you mornings of gold.
I'll spin you Valentine evenings.
Though we're strangers 'til now,
We're choosing the path
Between the stars.

I'll leave my love

Between the stars.


As the pain sweeps through,
Makes no sense for you.
Every thrill is gone.
Wasn't too much fun at all,
But I'll be there for you-ou-ou
As the world falls down.

Comments